Saturday, September 30, 2017

Stand or Sit?

If you want to see an effective public speaker in action, attend a Weight Watchers meeting.  I've seen a wide variety of presenters at these meetings over the years and they do a great job presenting information, interacting with the audience, offering support and motivation and also keeping it real.

At a recent Weight Watchers meeting, I arrived a few minutes late and was surprised to see only three people in the audience.  The presenter quickly rearranged the chairs and joined the members in the seats.  I pulled up a chair and joined the group, noticing how the presenter still maintained a high level of energy and enthusiasm.

This is not always easy to do.  Once I gave two identical presentations to undergraduate students at the University of Detroit Mercy.  During the first presentation, I stood at the front of the room, moved around a bit, and felt like I had a lot of energy.  A week later, I gave the presentation a second time,  this time to only about two or three people.  It felt odd to stand in front of such a small group, so I sat while I presented.  It wasn't the same.  I wasn't the same.  My energy level had dropped and I felt off my game.

Sitting while presenting to a small group can be quite effective and it will create a level of intimacy and familiarity that can really energize an otherwise stand-offish presentation.  Just be careful to not let your energy, volume or enthusiasm drop too much.



No comments:

Post a Comment