Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Storytelling

Last week I had the pleasure of hearing a story from Shannon Cason on the stage of the Detroit Film Theatre.   I have always wanted to attend a moth storytelling event but have never been able to carve out the time to do so.   I happened to be at the DFT last week to hear from documentary film makers and Cason's storytelling was an unexpected bonus on the program.

Unlike the process of including a story within a presentation, storytelling events feature only the story, on its own.  I have heard storytelling on public radio and on podcasts, but to hear one performed live in front of me in a large theater, was another experience entirely.

Cason's personal story is compelling and it involves robbery, gambling, addiction, love of family and redemption.  As I listened to him I found myself talking out loud in response to the suspense, saying things like, "Oh no!" and "No way!"  I was very much aware that I was part of an audience and it felt almost like I was on a roller coaster ride as I found myself being tossed and turned emotionally.

Storytelling like this involves careful planning and practice.  Every word has an impact.  Editing and rewriting is key.  And let's not forget about delivery - it needs to be genuine and yet peppered with vocal variety and dramatic pauses.

Storytelling can add drama to your next presentation and a good story will also make your message memorable.  I encourage you to make the time to see some real artists at work by checking out a live storytelling event.


No comments:

Post a Comment