Friday, October 13, 2017

Still writing out a script whenever you have to present?



My ten year old son had to give a speech to run for a student council position in his fifth grade classroom.  I did everything I could to STAY OUT of his speech preparation process.  And I largely succeeded.

He sat down with a notepad and wrote up a speech after googling a few videos of random student council speeches on YouTube.  He then read off his speech a couple of times to various family members.

I didn't want to influence his content or delivery.  I mean, let's face it, what ten year old needs professional speech coaching from someone, his mother by the way, with a doctorate in communication who teaches oral communication at a university?

Well, I'm happy to say he won the election:  he was one of two students with the most votes.  I asked him a million questions about the speeches he heard from the other candidates.  Of the seven candidates, all but one wrote out and read their speeches.  I'm collecting data....six out of seven ten year olds will write out their student council speeches.  Only one will speak extemporaneously, or conversationally.

I guess that's why so many adults still rely on writing out a script when they have a presentation to prepare.  It's what we know.  It's how we've always done it.   I contend that reading off a prepared manuscript is not the most effective way to present.  It's okay for some occasions, like eulogies and commencements.  But as speakers gain experience and content knowledge, they should aim to speak conversationally from key words on note cards.

Think of it this way:  when we can't swim, we rely on floaties or inflatables to stay afloat.  When we take the time to learn how to have confidence and skill in the water, we learn to swim unassisted.  And to do that, it takes time and practice.

I hope you will spend the time to learn how to swim without inflatable assistance.  And by that I mean, take the time to speak conversationally from key words on note cards.  Your audience will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment