Wednesday, October 18, 2017

It's all in your hands

I don't like it when presenters hold an electronic device when they are speaking. There.  I said it.  Call me old fashioned.  Call me old. Ostensibly speakers who are doing this are using the device as a note card.  I think what they're actually doing is sending a message to their audience to check their phones.

A laundry detergent brand had this great commercial a few years ago in which someone went for a job interview with a stain on his shirt.  The interviewer was so distracted by the stain, that she could barely maintain attention to what the interviewee was saying.  The commercial turned the stain into a talking stain because just the appearance of the stain created a lot of interference or noise for the interviewer.

Cell phones are ubiquitous.  Every public speaker is in competition with the cell phones that their audience members hold in their hands or have in their pockets, their purses, or on their laps.   Why send an unintentional message to your audience reminding them of their cell phones?  I don't think there's any reason good enough to do so.

Studies show that the act of writing things down can help you remember them.  Writing or typing out note cards with key words will aid in your retention of the information.  Presenters do not spend enough time preparing or rehearsing as it is so taking the time to write out note cards is the least they should aim to do.

In addition, too many things can and do go wrong when giving a presentation.  Batteries can die.  Items can be dropped and damaged.  Take the time to create legible note cards on sturdy paper and be sure to number them in case they get shuffled up.

My undergraduate students will often tell me that they hope they will become such proficient presenters that they will no longer need note cards.  I disagree with that goal.  Key words can help you stay on track and your thoughts in order and yet you will still be able to maintain eye contact with your audience.

Consider going back to paper note cards if you haven't in a while.  The next time you take the podium, the audience doesn't need one more reminder that something interesting might be happening on their phone. 
 

3 comments:

  1. I find this topic interesting. I say that because I can see both sides of it. Growing up in a generation who uses their phones to even track their sleep schedule, it makes sense that it would be good for note cards. I also see where you, as a professor, are coming from when you say it’s a reminder to the audience that something more important could be happening elsewhere. To add to that, I think that it restrains you from using your body language to its fullest capacity. When you have paper notecards you can put your hands to the side and move them around easily. With a cellphone, however, you run the risk of losing your spot or hitting a button you shouldn’t if you move it the wrong way. By using your hands you can really emphasize a point, but your losing that chance by keeping your phone in one hand.
    My question to you is, should we do away with technology in general? Would it impact your audience the same way if you use a computer or an iPad? If that’s the case, would it lead students to think of more creative presentational aids beside PowerPoint?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. You are raising some really interesting points. You are correct - whenever a speaker uses any technology, s/he runs the risk of hiding behind it or distracting the audience. My general rule of thumb is that technology should be used to aid the audience's understanding of the topic. If it's not doing that, it may be unnecessary.

    I see what you mean about using a computer or iPad - I don't see speakers using them as note cards - but I often see speakers standing behind them at a podium. I'm guilty of that as well when teaching in a classroom. Whenever possible, a speaker should add interest to his/her delivery by stepping away from the technology.

    The pros and cons of PowerPoint are often discussed. It can be a great asset to a presentation, but if not done well, it can be a distraction or a bore. I'm inspired by presenters who use real-time electronic polling devices in their presentations. I have found that to be helpful in keeping an audience engaged. I will be sure to write a post soon about how to use those effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your professional opinion on the technology stand point. I haven’t figured out when it’s best to add that to a presentation, so your commen on PowerPoints definitely helped!

    ReplyDelete