Friday, November 3, 2017

Ever heard of Harvey Weinstein?

On October 5, 2017 the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke and it remains in the news as of the publishing of this blog posting.  A timeline of the events can be found here and related scandals can be found here.  So imagine my surprise when I attended an event just last week and heard a man at the podium use the following line as an ice breaker:

"A man's speech is like a woman's dress.  The shorter the better."

When I heard this I exchanged a concerned look with my dining companion but I'm not sure how many people noticed the inappropriateness of this remark.  A few minutes later, another speaker took the podium, this time a woman,  and she jokingly referred to the length of her own skirt in an apparent nod to the earlier speaker's comment. 

I get it.  Sometimes we search the web for a throwaway line or icebreaker to begin our remarks.  If it's related to public speaking or self deprecating, all the better.  But for heaven's sake, take a second look at something before you include it in your next presentation.  Even though this particular quote is a variation of Winston Churchill's, it doesn't make it right.



No comments:

Post a Comment